Amendment of Section 73.202(b
MM Docket No.95-13
Table of Allotments,
FM Broadcast Stations.
(Tower Hill, Illinois
Adopted: January 18, 1995 ; Released: January 27, 1995
By the Chief, Allocations Branch:
Comment Date: March 20, 1995
Reply Comment Date: April 4, 1995
1. The Commission has before it the petition for rule making filed by Randal J. Miller ("petitioner"
, proposing the allotment of Channel 252A to Tower Hill, Illinois, as that community's first local transmission service. Petitioner states his intention to apply for the channel, if allotted.
2. We believe the public interest would be served by proposing the allotment of Channel 252A to Tower Hill, Illinois, since it could provide the community with its first local transmission service. An engineering analysis has determined thatChannel 252A can be allotted to Tower Hill in compliance with the Commission's minimum distance separation requirements with a site restriction of 9 kilometers (5.6 miles
in order to avoid a short-spacing to the licensed sites of Station WZRO(FM
, Channel 252A, Farmer City, Illinois and Station WACF(FM
, Channel 253B, Paris, Illinois.
3. The Commission believes it would be in the public interest to seek comments on the proposal to amend the FM Table of Allotments, Section 73.202(b
of the Commission's Rules, with respect to the following community:
Tower Hill, Illinois -- 252A
4. The Commission's authority to institute rule making proceedings,showings required, cut-off procedures, and filing requirements are contained in the attached Appendix and are incorporated by reference herein. In particular, we note that a showing of continuing interest is required by paragraph 2 of the Appendix before a channel will be allotted.
5. Interested parties may file comments on or before March 20 , 1995, and reply comments on or before April 4 , 1995, and are advised to read the Appendix for the proper procedures. Comments should be filed with the Secretary, Federal Communications Commission, Washington, D.C. 20554. Additionally, a copy of such comments should be served on the petitioner, or its counsel or consultant, as follows:
Randal J. Miller
111 West Main Cross
P.O. Box 169
Taylorville, Illinois 62568
6. The Commission has determined that the relevant provisions of the RegulatoryFlexibility Act of l980 do not apply to rule making proceedings to amend the FM Table of Allotments, Section 73.202(b
of the Commission's Rules. See
Certification that Sections 603 and 604 of the Regulatory Flexibility Act Do Not Apply to Rule Making to Amend Sections 73.202(b
, 73.504 and 73.606(b
of the Commission's Rules
, 46 FR ll549, February 9, 1981.
7. For further information concerning this proceeding, contact Nancy J. Walls, Mass Media Bureau, (202
418-2180. For purposes of this restricted notice and comment rule making proceeding, members of the public are advised that no
presentations are permitted from the time the Commission adopts a Notice of Proposed Rule Making until the proceeding has been decided and such decision is no longer subject to reconsideration by the Commission or review by any court. An ex parte presentation is not prohibited if specifically
requested by the Commission or staff for the clarification
or adduction of evidence or resolution of issues in the
proceeding. However, any new written information elicited
from such a request or a summary of any new oral information
shall be served by the person making the presentation upon
the other parties to the proceeding unless the Commission
specifically waives this service requirement. Any comment
which has not been served on the petitioner constitutes
an ex parte presentation and shall not be considered in
the proceeding. Any reply comment which has not been served
on the person(s) who filed the comment, to which the reply
is directed, constitutes an ex parte presentation and shall
not be considered in the proceeding.
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
John A. Karousos
Chief, Allocations Branch
Policy and Rules Division
Mass Media Bureau
1. Pursuant to authority found in Sections 4(i),
5(c)(1), 303(g) and (r), and 307(b) of the Communications
Act of 1934, as amended, and Sections 0.61, 0.204(b) and
0.283 of the Commission's Rules, IT IS PROPOSED TO AMEND
the FM Table of Allotments, Section 73.202(b) of the Commission's
Rules and Regulations, as set forth in the Notice of Proposed
Rule Making to which this Appendix is attached.
2. Showings Required. Comments are invited on the
proposal(s) discussed in the Notice of Proposed Rule Making
to which this Appendix is attached. Proponent(s) will
be expected to answer whatever questions are presented
in initial comments. The proponent of a proposed allotment
is also expected to file comments even if it only resubmits
or incorporates by reference its former pleadings. It
should also restate its present intention to apply for
the channel if it is allotted and, if authorized, to build
a station promptly. Failure to file may lead to denial
of the request.
3. Cut-off Procedures. The following procedures will
govern the consideration of filings in this proceeding.
(a) Counterproposals advanced in this proceeding itself
will be considered, if advanced in initial comments, so
that parties may comment on them in reply comments. They
will not be considered if advanced in reply comments.
(See Section 1.420(d) of the Commission's Rules.)
(b) With respect to petitions for rule making which
conflict with the proposal(s) in this Notice, they will
be considered as comments in the proceeding, and Public
Notice to this effect will be given as long as they are
filed before the date for filing initial comments herein.
If they are filed later than that, they will not be considered
in connection with the decision in
(c) The filing of a counterproposal may lead the Commission
to allot a different channel than was requested for any
of the communities involved.
4. Comments and Reply Comments; Service. Pursuant
to applicable procedures set out in Sections 1.415 and
1.420 of the Commission's Rules and Regulations, interested
parties may file comments and reply comments on or before
the dates set forth in the Notice of Proposed Rule Making
to which this Appendix is attached. All submissions by
parties to this proceeding or by persons acting on behalf
of such parties must be made in written comments, reply
comments, or other appropriate pleadings. Comments shall
be served on the petitioner by the person filing the comments.
Reply comments shall be served on the person(s) who filed
comments to which the reply is directed. Such comments
and reply comments shall be accompanied by a certificate
of service. (See Section 1.420(a), (b) and (c) of theCommission's
Rules.) Comments should be filed with the Secretary, Federal
Communications Commission, Washington, D.C. 20554.
5. Number of Copies. In accordance with the provisions
of Section 1.420 of the Commission's Rules and Regulations,
an original and four copies of all comments, reply comments,
pleadings, briefs, or other documents shall be furnished
6. Public Inspection of Filings. All filings made
in this proceeding will be available for examination by
interested parties during regular business hours in the
Commission's Reference Center (Room 239) at its headquarters,
1919 M Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.
Footnote 1 Although the petitioners's request was signed, it failed to include an affidavit verifying that the statements contained in the petition were accurate to the best of its knowledge. Section 1.52 of the Commission's Rules requires that the original of any document filed with the Commission by a party not represented by counsel be signed and verified by the party and his/her address stated. In the absence of such verification, the petition may be dismissed. Section 1.401(b) of the Commission's Rules concerning rule making proceedings places petitioners on notice that their proposal must conform with the requirements of Section 1.52 regarding subscription and verification. See also Amendment of Sections 1.420 and 73.3584 of the Commission's Rules Concerning Abuses of the Commission's Processes, 5 FCC Rcd 3911, 3919 n.41 (1990). The petitioner is requested to rectify this omission in its comments.
Footnote 2 The coordinates for Channel 252A at Tower Hill are North Latitude 39-18-27 and West Longitude 88-59-22.