- About the Author - Bill Lane
- Topic 1: Interoperability
- Topic 2: Internet Protocol (IP) Based Interoperability
- Topic 3: Physical Layer Interoperability
- Topic 4: Software Defined Radio
- Topic 5: Issues of Software Defined Radio Implementations for Public Safety
- Topic 6: Standard for Interoperable Gateways
- Topic 7: Core Concepts and Software Defined Radio for Public Safety
- Topic 8: Cognitive Radio for Public Safety
- Topic 9: Cognitive Radio Potential for Public Safety
- Topic 10: License-Exempt Wireless Applications for Public Safety
- Topic 11: WiMAX Applications for Public Safety
- Topic 12: National Interoperability Channels
- Topic 13: Amateur Radio Service Support to Public Safety Communications
- Topic 14: Diversity, Redundancy, and Resiliency - in that Order
- Topic 15: Outage Reporting Systems
- Topic 16: Narrow Banding Public Safety Communication Channels
- Topic 17: Propagation Characterization
- Topic 18: Priority Telecommunications Services
- Topic 19: Communications Interdependencies
- Topic 20: Cyber Security and Communications
- Topic 21: Emergency Alert System (EAS)
- Topic 22: Application of Emerging Wireless Broadband Technology for Public Safety Communications
- Topic 23: Femtocells
About Bill Lane
Dr. Bill Lane, PSHSB
Bill Lane is the Chief Engineer and Acting Chief of the Public Communications Outreach and Operations Division of the Commission's Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau. In this role, he serves as the senior advisor to the Bureau Chief and Deputy Bureau Chiefs on all engineering and technical matters relating to the roles and missions of the Bureau.
He holds a PhD from the Georgia Institute of Technology, an MBA from Long Island University, and a BS from the US Military Academy. Mr. Lane is also a graduate of the US Army War College, a Senior Member of the Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and a Registered Professional Engineer in Virginia.
Prior to joining the FCC in 2000, he completed a career as a US Army Signal Corps Officer culminating with the rank of Colonel. Before his current position, Dr. Bill Lane held several FCC positions: Associate Chief of the Policy and Rules Division in the Office of Engineering and Technology, Senior Engineer in the Office of Strategic Planning and Policy Analysis, and Chief Technologist in the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau.
Please feel free to email any comments or suggestions on Tech Topics to Bill Lane at William.Lane@fcc.gov.