- About the Author - Bill Lane
- Topic 1: Interoperability
- Topic 2: Internet Protocol (IP) Based Interoperability
- Topic 3: Physical Layer Interoperability
- Topic 4: Software Defined Radio
- Topic 5: Issues of Software Defined Radio Implementations for Public Safety
- Topic 6: Standard for Interoperable Gateways
- Topic 7: Core Concepts and Software Defined Radio for Public Safety
- Topic 8: Cognitive Radio for Public Safety
- Topic 9: Cognitive Radio Potential for Public Safety
- Topic 10: License-Exempt Wireless Applications for Public Safety
- Topic 11: WiMAX Applications for Public Safety
- Topic 12: National Interoperability Channels
- Topic 13: Amateur Radio Service Support to Public Safety Communications
- Topic 14: Diversity, Redundancy, and Resiliency - in that Order
- Topic 15: Outage Reporting Systems
- Topic 16: Narrow Banding Public Safety Communication Channels
- Topic 17: Propagation Characterization
- Topic 18: Priority Telecommunications Services
- Topic 19: Communications Interdependencies
- Topic 20: Cyber Security and Communications
- Topic 21: Emergency Alert System (EAS)
- Topic 22: Application of Emerging Wireless Broadband Technology for Public Safety Communications
- Topic 23: Femtocells
Tech Topics Overview
The Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau's (PSHSB) Chief Engineer, Bill Lane, regularly provides installments of Tech Topics on subjects of interest to public safety communities such as First Responders, Hospitals and Health Care Providers, 9-1-1 Services/PSAPs, government partners, industry, and the general public.
These technical discussions are intended to provide fundamental public safety information and provoke thought and potential interaction with PSHSB regarding the principles of telecommunications and applications of these principles in public safety or emergency situations.
The mention of any specific system, manufacturer, or vendor is not intended to be an endorsement by the FCC, but simply as exemplary of the topic being discussed.
We welcome comments regarding our Tech Topics or suggestions for future Topics. Please email any comments or suggestions to Bill Lane at William.Lane@fcc.gov.