Go to FCC.gov
FCC Logo - Return to the FCC Home Page  
  News Corp/DIRECTV Transaction Page


Official Documents Skip Issue Box 1 Navigation Links


General Motors Corporation, Hughes Electronics Corporation, and The News Corporation Limited Transaction Page

Last updated 10/26/10.

This page provides information on the joint application filed by General Motors Corporation (“GM”), Hughes Electronics Corporation (“Hughes”) and The News Corporation Limited ("News Corp." and, collectively with GM and Hughes, the "Applicants") to the Commission seeking consent to transfer control of various Commission licenses and authorizations, including direct broadcast satellite (“DBS”) and fixed satellite space station, earth station, and terrestrial wireless authorizations held by Hughes and its wholly- or majority-owned subsidiaries to News Corp. (“Application”). The transaction involves the split-off of Hughes from GM, wherein Hughes will become a separate and independent company, followed by a series of transactions where News Corp., through its majority-held subsidiary, Fox Entertainment Group, will acquire a 34% interest in Hughes. The remaining 66% interest in Hughes will be held by three GM employee benefit trusts (managed by an independent trustee), which combined will hold an approximately 20% interest in Hughes, and by the general public, which will hold an approximately 46% interest in Hughes.

1/14/04
FCC Releases Order on Conditioned Approval of News Corp-DirecTV Merger.
Order: Word | Acrobat
Public Notice (12/19/03): Word | Acrobat
Fact Sheet: Word | Acrobat
Powell Statement: Word | Acrobat
Abernathy Statement: Word | Acrobat
Copps Statement: Word | Acrobat
Martin Statement: Word | Acrobat
Adelstein Statement: Word | Acrobat

12/19/03
Subject to Conditions, Commission Approves Transaction Between General Motors Corp., Hughes Electronics Corp. and the News Corporation Ltd.
Public Notice: Word | Acrobat
Fact Sheet: Word | Acrobat
Powell Statement: Word | Acrobat
Copps Statement: Word | Acrobat
Martin Statement: Word | Acrobat
Adelstein Statement: Word | Acrobat

5/16/03
General Motors Corporation, Hughes Electronics Corporation, and The News Corporation Limited Seek Approval to Transfer Control of FCC Authorizations and Licenses Held By Hughes Electronics Corporation to The News Corporation Limited.
Public Notice: Word | Acrobat

Application Materials and Comments:

To view the Comments and Reply Comments filed in this proceeding, and other related documents go to the ECFS Page.  Select the "Search the ECFS System" link (or the alternate link if the main link does not respond), enter "03-124" in the "Proceeding" box, and press the "Retrieve Document List" button. To view ONLY the application, follow the procedure above, but also select "AP" in the "Document Type" box before pressing the "Retrieve Document List" button. (Copies of documents in the record may also be obtained for a fee from FCC's duplicating contractor, Qualex International, at 202-863-2893, or may be viewed and/or copied at the FCC Reference Center.)

Record Documents

Below is a list of record documents in reverse chronological order.

11/17/03
Letter Restarting the Clock, Sent to Applicants from W. Kenneth Ferree, Chief, Media Bureau.
Word | Acrobat

10/31/03
Third Information and Document Request: Word | Acrobat

10/16/03
Second Information and Document Request.

10/10/03
Letter Stopping the Clock, Sent to Applicants from W. Kenneth Ferree, Chief, Media Bureau.
Word | Acrobat

7/15/03
Discovery Requests for Gemstar-TV Guide

7/15/03
Discovery Requests for Cablevision Systems Corporation

7/8/03
Initial Information and Document Request
[ Letter | Attachment ]

For additional information, please see:

Press inquiries should be directed to David Fiske via e-mail at David.Fiske@fcc.gov or at 202-418-0513. The staff contact is Marcia Glauberman, (202) 418-7046, Marcia.Glauberman@fcc.gov, of the Media Bureau. Send e-mail about this web page to the Webmaster at: MBWEB@fcc.gov





If you would like more information pertaining to the Media Bureau, please call: (202) 418-7200.

Skip FCC Footer and Contact InfoFederal Communications Commission
445 12th Street SW
Washington, DC 20554
More FCC Contact Information...
Phone:  1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322)
TTY:  1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322)
Fax:  1-866-418-0232
- Privacy Policy
- Website Policies & Notices
- Required Browser Plug-ins
- Freedom of Information Act